Patient-Centered Medical Home
Patient-centered medical homes (PCMH) transform primary care into what patients want: health care that focuses on them and their needs. In this setting, patients are encouraged to be more involved in their treatment and care, inspiring them to engage in healthy behaviors in their day-to-day activities.
A growing body of evidence shows the benefits of medical homes, including better quality care and improved patient experience, as well as better prevention and management of disease. These improvements all come with the added benefit of reducing overall health care costs. Becoming recognized as a PCMH by the National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA), or another accrediting organization, can also open the door to valuable financial incentives.
PCDC’s NCQA-certified content experts have helped more than 200 community health centers, hospital clinics, private practices, and special needs providers become recognized PCMH primary care providers. In addition to coaching, we also offer no-cost PCMH Tools & Resources that have been used by primary care practices throughout the United States.
Access and Redesign
- Reduce patient wait times, cycle times, and no-show rates
- Create same-day appointment access
- Right-size provider patient panels
Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records
- Meaningful use certification
- Optimization of EHRs, including clinical decision support, telehealth, e-prescribing, and e-consultations
- Performance measurement and reporting
- Implementation of health information exchange
Care Coordination and Team-Based Care
- Development of effective care teams for high-need patients
- Population health and chronic disease management
- Transitions of care and referral coordination
PCMH Assessments and Workplans
- On-site and/or virtual assessment of current operations against PCMH standards
- Live consulting phone/video conference with a PCMH expert
- Learning collaboratives for multiple sites, including learning sessions and coaching
- Creating a PCMH survey submission project plan
- Providing review of documentation requirements and survey submissions
A full list of PCMH services can be found in our services bulletin.