LGBTQ Health Series: Part 3, Talking About Sexual Health
Updated: November 15, 2017
To view this webinar, click here.
The complete slide deck is also available for download on the right side of this page.
Communicating effectively and respectfully with patients is integral to patient-centered and culturally sensitive medical care, especially as it pertains to sexual health. Obtaining a culturally competent sexual history provides a more complete picture of a patient’s health and helps to establish trust with patients, determine HIV/STI risk, medically indicated screening tests, appropriate anatomical sites for STI testing, and eligibility for preventive strategies including PrEP, nPEP, and risk reduction counseling.
The webinar will provide participants with:
- Broad guidance for how to start and sustain the conversation.
- Discussion of verbal and non-verbal language that is considerate and respectful.
- The importance of confidentiality assurances that are based on state laws.
- Discussion of how to avoid assumptions
- A review of the CDC sexual history taking recommendations with the “5Ps”