Vice President, Public Affairs
Primary Care Development Corporation (PCDC): Catalyzing Excellence in Primary Care
Quality primary care is transformative and a cornerstone of healthy, thriving communities. PCDC, a nationally recognized 501(c)(3) community development financial institution (CDFI), catalyzes excellence in primary care through strategic community investment, capacity building, and policy initiatives to achieve health equity.
The Vice President of Public Affairs (VP-PA) will be responsible for PCDC’s communications, advocacy, and policy strategy and activities to increase PCDC’s reach and impact. This position will report to the CEO and serve as a member of the executive management team. The VP-PA will be responsible for a broad range of communications and public affairs activities including messaging, media, advocacy, partnership, and policy, with a focus on PCDC’s two geographic target markets, New York State and California/LA County as well as federal policy. The VP-PA will manage a growing team of 5-7 people.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Lead all PCDC communications, policy, advocacy, and public affairs efforts across the enterprise.
- Establish PCDC as a leading CDFI in addressing health equity.
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted high-level audiences, including the media, legislators, health care and public health practitioners and officials, and other stakeholders in government, foundations, corporate and non-profit sectors.
- Represent PCDC at relevant local, state, regional, and national forums.
- Serve as communications counselor to PCDC staff, leadership, and Board of Directors.
Key Activities and Operations
- Develop and implement strategic plans for communications, policy, and advocacy, with clear business goals, messages, target audiences, dissemination methods and metrics for monitoring implementation and impact.
- Create a compelling and overarching narrative with messaging and content development about PCDC’s mission, focusing on health equity, and our work with clients/partners, through varied communications outlets, including print publications; website, e-publications, newsletters, social media, and marketing.
- Identify key policy initiatives and develop strategies and tactics for engagement on issues that impact primary care; plan and coordinate all advocacy and legislative campaigns and events to advance priorities at local, state, and federal levels.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships and serve as a spokesperson.
- Direct and maintain a consistent brand identity and messaging.
- Staff the Policy Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Manage and execute media, business development, and external stakeholder events such as the annual Gala, media availabilities, webinars, in-person events, and social media activities.
- Oversee reporting on lobbying activity and ensure compliance with legal and grant requirements.
- Raise funds to support the organization and unit, including from government and foundations.
- Oversee day-to-day activities of the team including budgeting, planning, and project management.
- Establish and monitor staff performance, assign accountability, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Promote a culture of excellence and continuous improvement.
- Mentor and develop staff.
- Facilitate cross-team collaboration.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public health, public policy, or related field is required. Advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum 8-10 years of related experience, preferably in a senior management role.
- Demonstrated leadership in public affairs, including managing comprehensive strategic communications, policy/advocacy, media relations, and marketing to advance an organization’s mission and goals, as well as advancing issue-based policies with high level media, health care providers, and leaders, and other stakeholders at the local, state, or federal level.
- Subject matter expertise in health care or community development.
- Extensive successful oral, writing, and editing experience with a variety of print and online communications media, including demonstrated experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other publications as well as in-person presentations, interviews, and webinars.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action.
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching teams.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Experience with WordPress, Salesforce, and Pardot, as well as graphic design and other digital and social media platforms required.
For immediate consideration, please email your cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and available start date to: email@example.com with “VP, Public Affairs” in the subject line.
This position will be 100% remote (working from home) during the COVID-19 pandemic. Once PCDC’s workforce returns to the office this is expected to be an on-site position in New York City.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including:
- STD – company paid in NY
- LTD – company paid
- Life Insurance – company
- Voluntary Life
- 403(b) retirement
- Flexible Spending account
- Dependent Care (DCA)
- Commuter Benefits
- Paid Family Leave
- Generous paid vacation
and sick time
- Paid personal days
- Paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The Primary Care Development Corporation (PCDC) is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.