Public Policy Intern
Primary Care Development Corporation (PCDC): Catalyzing Excellence in Primary Care
Quality primary care is transformative and a cornerstone of healthy, thriving communities. PCDC catalyzes excellence in primary care through strategic community investment, capacity building, and policy initiatives to achieve health equity. PCDC is a national community development financial institution (CDFI), with a 27-year history of investing in communities and providing technical assistance to improve health care and the health of the community. PCDC works with primary care providers, policymakers, industry leaders, and other advocates to advance polices that increase access to quality primary care, enabling it to more successfully improve health outcomes, reduce costs, and improve health equity. Our key policy priorities include strengthening the primary care delivery system, expanding and sustaining primary care investment and supporting healthy communities.
PCDC seeks a part-time fall Public Policy Intern (14 hours per week) to support our Advocacy and Communications team. Reporting to the Policy and Advocacy Manager, this internship is an opportunity to gain critical knowledge of relevant and critical health policy issues. Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to apply, with preference given to those pursuing a Masters in Public Health (MPH), Masters in Public Policy (MPP), or a background in public health and/or policy.
We seek a highly organized, creative individual with either professional or educational experience in policy to help advocate for PCDC’s position as a leader in health care financing and performance improvement.
- Writing and editing policy briefs and other material for New York State advocacy efforts to support investments in primary care, including but not limited to “one pagers”, white papers or brief reports, and talking points
- Researching organizational and individual stakeholders to build NYS Primary Care Coalition advocating for investments in primary care
- Monitoring, tracking and disseminating within PCDC summary information about key policy issues and trends affecting primary care investments in state legislatures outside of New York, and exploring opportunities to submit and highlight PCDC material and positions
- Updating contact database with relevant information about policymakers and legislative districts
- Assisting in the planning and execution of events to draw attention to primary care policy priorities
- Additional duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience
- Current undergraduate or graduate student (MPH or MPP preferred)
- Background or interest in health care / public policy
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Highly motivated, organized, detail-oriented and able to multi-task
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
This is a part-time, temporary (September through December), paid internship position. For immediate consideration, please email your cover letter, resume, and minimum of two writing samples (in PDF format) to: email@example.com (subject line: “Policy Intern”).
The Primary Care Development Corporation (PCDC) is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.